LIfe is Good

LIfe is Good

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Each day has it's own beauty

"Each moment of the year has it's own beauty....a picture which was never before and shall never be seen again."
Ralph Waldo Emerson


As I look out my windows each morning, I see a different scene everyday.   The quietness and solitude brings me peace within.   The clouds are floating above from the north, their ever-changing misty shapes will never be the same again.   The trees are standing with their branches reaching to the sky, and the breeze through the needles is a dance from nature.   Aspens by the house have tiny buds...sleeping til the warm air comes back again in the spring.    I can see rabbit tracks in the snow, but they must come out at night, since I've never seen one during daylight. 
As I keep my house warm tending the wood stove everyday, I realize how blessed we are in this century to have instant heat and lights.  140+ years ago this valley was a mecca of gold miners and their quest for fortunes.   I can't imaging living here in the winter back then. 

I checked out the book "Silverheels" from the library here, and started reading it this week.   It's a story about a woman who came here from St Louis in 1862 alone.  She helped save a mining town from a smallpox epidemic.  Her dancing at a fundraiser earns her the nickname "Silverheels".  A mountain near here was named Silverheels after her.  This book was written by my landlord Tara Meixsell.  It is a story that should never be forgotten.  

Life is a gift


No comments:

Post a Comment